3 Rs

Ready

Reliable

Reasonable

Sunday, April 7, 2013

SEEC Part 4

I arose at 6:00 am on the morning of February 9, 2013, and went through my usual morning ceremonies to prepare myself for another day. I would be giving my workshop this morning and I was excited. I went downstairs for the complimentary breakfast enjoying scrambled eggs, sausage, and freshly baked buns which I adorned with lots of strawberry jam. The TV was on in the lobby and I heard more news of the snowstorm that hit the Eastern Seaboard up to and including Toronto.


When I finished breakfast, I got on the internet to learn that my flight back to Toronto had been cancelled. I asked Steve, the hotel manager if I could stay another night if I had to and he said that he was booked solid. He said me would try the Marriott near the airport and let me know. I asked Steve if I could check out at 1:00 pm instead of the required 11:00 am since I had to give a workshop at the Space Center and wouldn’t be back in time to check out by 11:00. He said that would be okay.

I grabbed the shuttle and headed for the Space Center. When I arrived, I had an hour to kill so I thought I would take in any part of the building I hadn’t seen. I saw a sign that said “Stage Bypass.” I followed it and was I ever surprised. There was about a ¼ length replica of the ISS and I was inside it. There were dials and panels on the walls and it looked very impressive indeed. I stepped out of the ISS replica and entered another room that was dimly lit. Behind a glass panel was a moonscape with a rover sitting upon it. This was so cool. I realized I had 15 minutes to get my gear and head for my room. I picked up my kit that I mailed a couple of weeks earlier, loaded three boxes onto a dolly and headed to the auditorium to do my presentation.

I set up my computer and began unpacking my boxes when this young woman asked if I needed any help. Her name is Becky Russel l Loy. She finished setting up my computer for me, got a tech aide to connect the speakers and I put items into baskets which Becky and I distributed to the tables where educators were seated. I showed my video prepared for me by Steve Lang of the Canadian Space Resource Center, which showed the first Canadarm to Canadarm 2 assisting in the docking of Space X. Following the video, I introduced myself and began my workshop. I had an hour and a half and wondered how I’d fill the time. When I finished my workshop, I had only 5 minutes left to give out my door prizes Which I share at all my presentations. Just about everybody went home with something. I thought the workshop went very well.

Following the workshop, I ran into my friend Jeff. I told him I had to get to my hotel to check out and see about a place to stay. I thanked Angela, who organized the conference, then Jeff and I split a cab and I returned to my hotel. I checked out and Steve told me that he had a room for me at the gain. I told Steve about this. He told me not to cancel my room at the airport Marriott until I was boarding the plane. I thanked Steve for all his help and his excellent service. The shuttle arrived and I was off.
Marriott by the airport if I needed it. I had about an hour before the shuttle was to pick me up for the airport. I got online and discovered my flight was back on a

I’m definitely going back next year. There is still so much more to see.

Thank you Johnson Space Center, Angela Case, Brian Ewenson and my new friend Jeff for a wonderful learning experience. I had a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment